What's new

📆 What have you done to your Teryx H2 today?

I modified my TAPP secondary. Modifying the stock secondary will be a different process. I believe Cornell Customs can modify a stock clutch for a larger belt. KWI's secondary can accept a larger belt with the correct deflection.
 
We do modify the OEM secondary to use a longer belt and keep proper belt deflection.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4943.webp
    IMG_4943.webp
    477.6 KB · Views: 55
Picked mine up today. Zero miles, KWI secondary with KWI overdrive cap and weights on new Kawi primary, stock and Pro R belts and a street legal kit. Wish it wasn’t over a hundred degrees today in Utah or I would have drove straight to the dunes.

View attachment 559
What part of Utah are you in? I’m in hurricane, right out of sand hollow. I’d like to hook up some time and exchange notes.
 
What part of Utah are you in? I’m in hurricane, right out of sand hollow. I’d like to hook up some time and exchange notes.
I live in Riverton. We use to do Sand Hallow every thanksgiving but the masses have figured it out. To crowded now, haven’t been down it a couple years. Need to get back down there. Super cool place.
 
I live in Riverton. We use to do Sand Hallow every thanksgiving but the masses have figured it out. To crowded now, haven’t been down it a couple years. Need to get back down there. Super cool place.
I think it’s mostly crowded during UTV takeover. But even on the most crowded weekend, you get a half mile away from the top of the world and the crowd gets very thin.

I just put a deposit on a new H2, so if you come back down, I’d like to compare notes.
 
Found a place for the Starlink. Have not wired it, but thinking about doing the Garmin PowerSwitch's. One in the front for all the front accessories and one in the rear and not have to run so many wires through the tunnel. Mounted to the spare tire carrier top bar. The quick release mount is pretty sloppy and when it's fully open the Mini just touches the roof with zero pressure, just from the slop in the mount lets it lean a little. Use the mount on my truck and boat, it's not very elegant but makes it easy to swap between vehicles. It has a little suitcase lock and a aftermarket metal base plate to keep the honest people from taking it. I don't plan on running a spare tire, but I think it should still clear one if I did. I plan on mounting a Pelican Crate on the carrier. Looks to be the perfect size and will give me a ton of storage.


IMG_0408.webp


IMG_0412.webp


IMG_0411.webp


IMG_0409.webp
 
The packouts fit great! How are you holding them in, and what size are they?
 
Found a place for the Starlink. Have not wired it, but thinking about doing the Garmin PowerSwitch's. One in the front for all the front accessories and one in the rear and not have to run so many wires through the tunnel. Mounted to the spare tire carrier top bar. The quick release mount is pretty sloppy and when it's fully open the Mini just touches the roof with zero pressure, just from the slop in the mount lets it lean a little. Use the mount on my truck and boat, it's not very elegant but makes it easy to swap between vehicles. It has a little suitcase lock and a aftermarket metal base plate to keep the honest people from taking it. I don't plan on running a spare tire, but I think it should still clear one if I did. I plan on mounting a Pelican Crate on the carrier. Looks to be the perfect size and will give me a ton of storage.


View attachment 571

View attachment 572

View attachment 573

View attachment 574
That looks fragile for any kind of a rough trail. I hope it works out.
 
That looks fragile for any kind of a rough trail. I hope it works out.
Haha, you do know the Starlink is plastic don’t you? Same mount I had on my Can Am. And right now pretty sure my Can Am would destroy this H2. Never a problem, unless you hooked a tree or rolled it. But it’s easy to take off if you are in the woods and easy to take off when you go into a store or hotel. The van mounts are nice, but you need a flat place to mount them and they are not very practical to swap between vehicles.

On the truck
IMG_1387.webp

On the boat tower
IMG_1428.webp


On the Can AM, bad pic but not one bit of trouble.
IMG_1382.webp
 
The packouts fit great! How are you holding them in, and what size are they?
Pro Steel packout plate for a KRX with a sub. Same bed bolts and the intercooler takes the place of the sub. This one will fit three half boxes or one half box and a double or one XL box or 40qt cooler. They lock in just like a regular packout plate. The plate is elevated a few inches to make room for 3 half boxes wide.

 
What is the purpose of having a Starlink/solar panels mounted? I just keep mine in a foam box and pull it out when camping in the desert (for streaming movies) or power outage at my cabin. I have music already downloaded to my phone to listen to on the Garmin Tread.

I have a SPOT X that is used for communicating or god forbid need to get SAR.

For myself I would never ever mount anything that might catch on a branch or rock.

Glad it's working out for you though.
 
I’m curious why people run a Starlink serup offroad as well.

The Garmin Tread takes care of navigation. I carry a ResQLink PLB for emergencies and personally don’t listen to music while offroad,
 
I’m curious why people run a Starlink serup offroad as well.
There are so many reasons to run it.

Did you know the weather, weather warnings, traffic and live updates on the Tread only work when paired to your phone that has service?

Did you know most text devices use Iridiumn or Inmarsat satellites designed for emergency’s text and some voice use only. Yes it does have Global service but for small chunks of data. Starlink is designed for all data with high speed and a pretty high bandwidth.

Can you YouTube a video on how to change the fan fuse on a H2? With no service or a text device?

Can you call the dealer or parts house to have one ready for you when you get back to town and get dinner reservations at the same time without service or with a text device ?

Can you FaceTime a buddy to help with a mechanical or electrical problem on the trail with no service or text device?

Can you run OnX, Gia, Polaris Ride and the H2 forum app on your Tread without service or a text device?

Can everyone in your group have normal service without service or text device? What if you’re important and could be needed, are you going to give everyone your inreach address?

Can your GoPro auto upload to the cloud with no service or text device ? Loose the camera, loose the footage. Live maps on your drone on WiFi and you can submit a flight if needed. Can’t do that with service or text device.

Can you link up your Cardo or Senna systems to your text device and have unlimited range car to car if they have the same setup and it’s wireless. PCI and Rugged are 3 miles best with 50 watt radios tethered to the car. You can with Starlink. You cans swap the system to another car in minutes. Most Baja raced teams are moving this direction and no one runs a SATPHONE anymore.

I could go on and on, it’s a game changer for traveling, camping and off roading. Hardware is cheap and you can pause your service for $5.00 a month when not using it.
 
What is the purpose of having a Starlink/solar panels mounted? I just keep mine in a foam box and pull it out when camping in the desert (for streaming movies) or power outage at my cabin. I have music already downloaded to my phone to listen to on the Garmin Tread.

I have a SPOT X that is used for communicating or god forbid need to get SAR.

For myself I would never ever mount anything that might catch on a branch or rock.

Glad it's working out for you though.
Panels charge the house batteries on the boat, came that way. Little extra juice when floating out in the middle of the lake. Kinda gimmicky, but when it’s parked in the driveway the batteries are fully charged by time we go back out.

You must drive like a mad man though the woods and brush with no regard for your plastic or paint. Not my style, I like to keep my stuff fairly nice and would avoid tree bashing. If i was to get into a situation I was worried about it I would take the 30 seconds to get out, pull the pin and unplug it. It’s not even 3” higher than the crown of the roof and the Garmin antenna is sticking up in a worse spot and known to break easily. Listening to music on the stock Tread is horrible. If you’re content with that, then I understand why you have no interest in a Starlink.
 
Ok. Good points if all those requirements are important to you.

Personally, I check the weather before I go. And I haven’t found “traffic” to be an issue on the trail… LOL!

I agree race radios have limitations, but no one I ride with has Starlink. Heck, one guy won’t even run a radio (which I think is moronic).

I gave up Gaia when I got my first Tread and I’m not important enough to be ‘on call’ all the time. :ROFLMAO:

The repair scenario is a very good point. Although I bought a 40A shortstop circuit breaker to replace the fan fuse, mounted in a more convenient location. But something else could break.

Not a GoPro or music on the trail guy either.

All that said, we do have a Mini already we use for the MH (we also use Starlink at home and at our River house), so I guess it would behoove us ro have a mount for the Teryx. And one for the X3 too. Just for the hell of it…

Tell me about the battery charging comment; Starlink panels are solar? Never heard that…
 
Thank you for the explanation. Just not for me. Most all of the places I drive are in range of a repeater and I'm not racing. I prefer to keep it simple.

I'm an old dude and stuck in my ways. I let someone know where I'm at, keep a bunch of offline and paper maps, fairly decent at navigating and know how to use a compass. My SPOT tracker and now SPOT X has worked flawlessly for over 12 years.

I do see the benefit of carrying a Starlink in a case "just in case". But not for common use out on the trail.

Listening to music on the stock Tread is horrible.
Actually along with Kawasaki sub woofer it is pretty nice for plunking around. When going at a quicker pace I use the in helmet speakers.

You must drive like a mad man though the woods and brush with no regard for your plastic or paint. Not my style, I like to keep my stuff fairly nice and would avoid tree bashing.
LOL!! No not at all. Most anyone with substantial off road experience will know that it is near impossible to avoid branch and rock scratches on serious trails. And I have aged out of the dunes mayhem.

I might add this Rugged Radio is pretty fancy compared to the Baofeng radios we have been using on 2 wheels. Some of the guys are using the PCI but Baofeng is much cheaper and proven to be just as reliable.
 
The repair scenario is a very good point. Although I bought a 40A shortstop circuit breaker to replace the fan fuse, mounted in a more convenient location.
Post up pic’s of what you did and how you did this. I want to add a resettable breaker if this ends up being a real problem.

The Boat has solar panels, nothing to do with Starlink other than they are both mounted on the tower.
 
Well, this tread died down once all the Starlink haters calmed down.

Installed some Wolfpack Pro’s on the tire rack for more storage. Not sure how the mounting system will hold up with high speed dune and whoop running. Hitting the dunes tomorrow and we will see if they stay on. They did great on my overland build F-150, but it never would get as crazy as a SxS. Won’t have much weight in them. Rain jackets, first aid, tire kit, tow rope, stuff like that. Still the biggest complaint about the H2 is zero storage.

IMG_0443.webp


IMG_0445.webp


IMG_0446.webp


IMG_0444.webp
 
Back
Top